Technical project management or could also be referred as IT project management is known as the process of organizing, planning and so delineating responsibility in order to complete a specific IT goals of an organization. Technical project management would as well include overseeing projects for the development of software, network upgrades, and hardware installations, cloud computing, business analytics, virtualization rollouts, data management projects and also implementing some IT services.
In addition, there could be normal problems that might cause for a certain project to fail and so some factors that could affect the success of the IT project negatively are advances in technology once the project is executed, infrastructures changes which impact the security as well as data management and unknown dependent relationships about software, hardware, network infrastructure and data. IT projects might also succumb into the first time or first use penalty that represents the total risk that an organization could assume once implementing new technology right for the first time. Since the technology is not yet implemented or utilized before into an organization, there could be complications which might affect the success of the project.
And now, consider these five processes in terms of technical project management:
- Initiation – the goal of the project, the needs including the problems are to be identified. The project manager would be assigned to the project and so project charter is being created.
- Planning – project team and project manager would work together in order to plan the needed steps in order to reach successful project conclusion. The processes of project planning would be iterative in nature and so it would be expected that planning must happen often all throughout the project.
- Execution – if the project plan is already created the project team will go about executing the project plan in order to create the project’s deliverables. The project could shift to project planning as required all throughout the project execution.
- Monitoring and Controlling – since the project is being executed by the project team, the project manager will then monitor and control the work for cost, time, scope, risk, quality and some other factors of the certain project. Monitoring as well as controlling is also considered as an ongoing process that will ensure that the project will respond to the target of every project objective.
- Closing – in every end of the phase and in the end of the entire project, there would be project closure in order to ensure that all the work is completed, approved and so ultimately transferred the ownership from the project team to the operations.
Those are the five processes that must be considered once into the idea of technical project management as well as support. It is of great importance to consider the above mentioned processes in order to come up with the best project as the result. Technical project management and support is indeed of great help for a certain project to be completed and also to be as successful as what it should be.